Civil Society Organizations: Promoting Pro-Poor Policy and Social Inclusion
The poor and marginalized tend to benefit when civil society organizations (CSOs) are engaged in shaping policy, particularly when engagement is well-informed and leads to evidence-based policy. Often, however, CSO's policy engagement fails to do justice both to the complexity of policy processes as well as to the quality of the research and analysis that is available to help CSOs inform policy.
The course was designed to help CSOs make their engagement with policy processes and policy actors more effective and legitimate by cultivating improved understanding of policy entrepreneurship and policy making at local, national and international levels. The central objective was to improve the quality, and utilization, of policy research produced by experts in CSOs to help ensure that their analysis is provided to policymakers at the time important issues are under deliberation.
This 1-week course was designed for mid-level managers, researchers and communications officers from think tanks, university policy centers and NGOs that were attempting to influence the policy process in emerging democracies. The course was also open to doctoral candidates interested in communicating the policy applications of their research on poverty and/or social inclusion.
This summer school was supported by the European Commission under its Marie Curie Actions.
- About us
- Summer University
- 2010: Feminist Intersectionality and Political Discourse
- 2009: Managing for Integrity: Strategies and Approaches
- 2008: Climate Change: An Interdisciplinary Inquiry
- 2008: Integrity Reform: Strategies and Approaches
- 2007: Integrity Reform and Strategic Corruption Control
- 2007: Mastering Resources for Development
- 2006: Strategic Corruption Control and Organizational Integrity
- 2005: Civil Society Organizations: Promoting Pro-Poor Policy and Social Inclusion
- 2005: Strategic Corruption Control and Organizational Integrity
- 2004: Globalization and Public Policy
- Curriculum Development
- MA Teaching
- PhD Supervision
- Policy Labs
- Summer University
- Marie Curie Fellowships
- Work with us
- CPS Annual Reports
- Contact us